Sunday, August 9, 2015

1356 by Bernard Cornwell (version 2.0)


I previously wrote a review, came back to edit and accidentally deleted it!

This book, the fourth of Cornwell's series focusing on the fictional archer Thomas of Hookton during the Hundred Years' war is a bit of a disappointment for me.

The familiar elements of the formula are very much in place, but they seem a bit hackneyed here, as if he's just going through the motions. Previously the formula didn't bother me because it's why I read in the first place, but this time it bothered me.

The previously three novels had wrapped up the story pretty well and the creation of another mythical Christian relic for Thomas to pursue just felt lame, as if Cornwell was absolutely unable to think of anything for Thomas to do but the quest after holy relics.

Another problem is the story felt somehow truncated, as if Cornwell had set himself a deadline(he does seem to write a book a year so it's possible) and, running out of time, just sort of abruptly ended the various threads of plot in the inevetible Big Battle at the End that all of his stories have(battle scenes excellent as always). Even the death of what had been a major character in all three books seemed abrupt and out-of-nowhere.

I did like the fact that Thomas seemed to have acquired a bit more depth with age and family; and the new character, the virgin knight Roland d'something-or-other was a bit more interesting than the rest of the series' panoply of shallow tournament champions. 

Overall, the whole story seemed tired and worn out. I'm still looking forward to the next installment of the Saxon Stories(still, along with the '90's sublime Warlord Chronicles Cornwell's best work) in October, and I'll probably get around to reading other books of his, but, truth be told, I've read a lot of his books in the last year or so(no less, than 10!) and this decidedly mediocre one has convinced me to take a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment