Saturday, January 2, 2016

Tlačenka

Here in the Czech Republic, the great majority of food is pretty darn good. 
It's a filling, meat-and-potatoes, stick-to-your ribs kind of good, but it's good, especially in the hands of a creative chef.

I could and probably should write something some day about Czech food that I love that Americans don't eat. Like 'Bramboračky' (potato pancakes) or 'koprova omačka'(dill sauce that's something like bechamel or 'svičkova' ( beef sirloin medallions smothered with vegetable sauce, served with knedliky, cranberry sauce and a dollop of whipped cream.)
Having said that, there are quite a lot of foods that I have heard of (but haven't eaten or in many cases, even seen) that sound or look disgusting, usually related to eating parts of the pig that I wouldn't eat. 'Blood soup', say. Or lard spread upon toast as a snack. "Olomoucky syr", a certain cheese that smells so terrible that I could never bring myself to even taste it (Dad tried it on one of his visits, though,  and liked it--so does Luky, even though he doesn't like anything)  and so on.

These are foods that you usually can't find in restaurants or even in most homes--usually only eaten at 'zabijačkas', which is a communal pig slaughter/party, where a pig is slaughtered and all its parts used. It's an all-day party. Lot's of drinking. Lots of food. I've never been to one of these despite living in the country. (Obviously these things go on less often in big cities.)

  I'm not a party-person, to be honest. 
But of all these strange foods or dishes which sound unappetizing, I reserve a special place in my heart for tlačenka, which I believe was at one time called 'head cheese' in the states. (A place in my heart, I said. Not in my stomach. I have tried it, but I wouldn't eat it.)
If asked to describe how it looks, I'd say it's basically a cold, slimy translucent brown gelatinous slab with bits of pork brain embedded in it.
Or  I'd just tell you to imagine slabs of solidified vomit
Served doused with vinegar and onions.

1 comment:

  1. I've been corrected. Though 'head-cheese' traditionally did have pieces of pork brain and other parts of it's head in it, most tlačenka actually has just general pork meat in it, not brain.

    ReplyDelete