Friday, November 11, 2016

How does the Trump election affect YOU?

We will see, won’t we?
I am an American who lives in the eastern part of the EU. I feel that a victory for Trump is a victory for Putin and Russia.
I believe that Putin’s chief long-term goal for the last ten years or so is to break up NATO and hopefully send the nations of the EU spiralling down into the flames of petty nationalism.
Trump has been very vocal about his support for Putin and has put down an official plank of non-interference in Ukraine, should be he elected.
Ukraine is one thing but if Putin does anything to the Baltics(and I believe incursions are made every single day) he could invoke the wrath of NATO.
But guess what? NATO without the USA is pretty much…nothing. They couldn’t even topple Khadaffi before they ran out of bullets and the USA had to step up to the front.
I fear very much that Trump’s election, along with the Brexit(another Putin-supported political movement) and growth of hysterical right-wing extremism in general all over Europe bodes very badly for the future of Europe. If I have to spell it out I will. Don't make me do it.

Tell you what.
If Putin places a toe in Poland, I am leaving. But where am I to go? My partner is Czech and America, apparently, does not like immigrants. What about her sons from a previous marriage? All I can do is hope that Trump goes easy on the Czechs for his children’s grandparents’ sakes.
Right now the only consolation I have is that the world economy is probably due for a good tanking. Considered separately, economy tanking and Trump seizing the reins of power are bad things. Considered together, however…

No comments:

Post a Comment