Sunday, March 20, 2016

Is Barack Obama underestimated in America?

Critics on the right definitely underestimate Barack Obama. 
But then, they have to, don't they?. All presidents are underestimated by the other side. It's a rhetorical game that must be played.
Some people on the left underestimate Barack Obama because they believed that he promised far left economic policies and didn't deliver, even though he clearly ran as a centrist.
What it all boils down to is this: No one is ever satisfied in American politics.
But you mustn't let Facebook memes and silly stastistics influence how you see the attitudes of Americans in general. They are only tiny pieces in a vast mosaic.
If Obama could run for president again, I think he'd win. He's been incredibly scandal free; he's a great speaker; he still retains some real power as a global icon and, hopefully, his career is far from over.
Supporters of Obama, like myself, do not underestimate him. I think he's a great man.
I think his international policies have pleased me:
  • He offered a more diplomatic approach to the world, at least publicly.
  • I like that he's been reluctant to involve the USA in major new conflicts. (Note: I say major conflicts. Not minor ones like Yemen) I felt like the UK and France dragged Obama into Libya kicking and screaming. And when it looked about to come to a head in Syria a few years back, something which American's European allies in particular were pushing for I felt Obama's obvious relief.
  • I think he's done a lot to counter a resurgent Russia without resorting to proxy war.
  • I have faith the deal with Iran was the right one.
The only thing I think that he's failed at, perhaps, is really capitalizing on the Arab Spring in a way that is best for that region and the USA both. As it is, I don't think that we've got either. There his reluctance and caution works against him.
Domestically, the economic numbers don't lie. I think that whatever he did probably would have been done by a Republican president too.
I do wish he had had the government try some of the crooked bankers that unleashed the Financial Crisis on us.
I think he had a great vision of infrastructure upgrades and so on and, sadly, was blocked from implementing any of it. (Doesn't make sense: better infrastructure means more profitable businesses, doesn't it? Do we have to have a Republican in office to spend money to make money? Is this Bizarro-world?)
Mostly I think that the utter obstruction offered by the American Congress is something that's hindered him.  He won those battles more often than not, but those battles are definitely not good for the country.
But I also don't think it's his fault.
I think he made the right decisions with regards to resources(fracking and so on--yes, I know I have a lot of friends who are terrified of it--I'm not) and I have faith that the deal with Iran was the right one--and it was certainly historic.
My one criticism is osmething that really is only a criticism in retrospect: I think that he misjudged the political will opposing him in Congress and among Republicans and he tried for too long to play ball with them instead of just using the vast power at his disposals. And he may have made the same sort of mistake abroad.
But I think he's been the best president of my life time and I'm 45.
I think a lot of American feel the same, though obviously not all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment