Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Why are American men uncomfortable with wearing speedos when they swim?

America's puritanical background is the reason.

Due to this, Americans are far more squeamish and ashamed about their body (and bodily functions) than Europeans are.

This is not meant to be a comment on the relative fitness of the people in two continents; that's something else entirely. I've seen very, very fat men wearing Speedos in Europe along with normal men and super-fit men.



 Pictured above: not me.

But for an American male to wear a speedo would almost require a certain hedonistic self-appreciation that seems a little...well, almost wrong. Even if they havee a very fit body. It just wouldn't feel comfortable for them. The shame is not shame about their particular body; it's just bodies in general.



Whereas a European just doesn't give it a thought. They don't feel shame about their body. It's not a big deal. There's no hedonism, no real self-appreciation. It's just what people wear when swimming.

I've seen women topless on beaches in Italy and swimming pools in the Czech Republic. It's not a common thing(unless you go to a nude beach and, being a puritanically-raised American,not for me) but you see it. People just look away. I think the forbidden fruit aspect would cause men to leer in the USA.

My Facebook feed is full of people talking about the 'controversial' act of breastfeeding a child in public. Europeans are frankly just puzzled by this. I remember when Jana first visited America with Lukas in 2010 she was quite concerned that she'd get in trouble and we had to buy a special breastfeeding shawl to deal with that.

Anyway, AS a result, in America, Speedos are associated more with body-builders(who, after all want to show off their bodies) and with homosexuals,  many of whom have (obviously) gotten over a lot of their puritan upbringing.

Sadly, I haven't. I got one once and put it on and literally started shaking uncontrollably in fear. I had to find normal swimming trunks and bought them. I'll probably nevr get over my puritanical streak, I guess,, though I wish I could. My girlfriend laughs at the way I squawk whenever she sees me in a state of undress.

Since then swimming trunks have become more popular than speedos here--and only because word has gotten out  that American culture finds them 'gay.'

That's a stupid reason to change your swim wear and indicative of how the US influences the world in strange ways.

But yeah.

Speedos.

No comments:

Post a Comment