Sunday, June 12, 2016

What is the most profitable lie ever told?


Well one part of me wants to say the Iraq War or something political like that, but while I’’m sure an anti-Bush rant would go off well among some people, it's just so, you know, so 2005.
Anyway, I think more profitable lies have been told.
As an American who has moved abroad, I’m often surprised at the things which are regarded as necessities by Americans with a middle class income. And what’s interesting, sometimes they are necessities in the race to keep up with the Jones’, or whatever.

The latest gadget, the newest line of clothes, a car less than five years old, they have all these things. They are nice to have, I’ll admit—as long as you’re not putting yourself into major debt to get them.
  • The idea that an engagement ring must be two months’ salary is something Americans have been sold and have swallowed hook line and sinker. Believe me, such notions do not exist everywhere. It's ridiculous when you think about it. How on earth does such an irrational mathematical equation somehow equal true love? I get that an engagement ring is a symbol and I approve of that, as far as it goes.  But it does not have to be two months salary. That's absurd.
  • The idea that all of us got sold on the idea that we needed constant access to internet and a Smartphone is something that I think is a big lie. And look at the havoc it’s wreaked on social interactions. People have sex with their spouses less, spend their time with their loved ones staring at their phones—and I understand why. Its addictive! I myself do it. I was walking in the country on the hill above my house yesterday, and I stopped to check my phone.

     I’m not sure if anybody actually told this lie, or if it’s something everybody in the world just took up and started believing in instantaneously, but nearly all of us have one. I’m actually planning to go back to a stupid phone after my holiday. We don't need to be connected all the time, people! 
  • But to me the biggest lie that has cost the most money to people and made the most profit is this one:

    The expense of the American health care system is a necessary evil if one wants quality health care.
This one is the big one. Billions of dollars a year are made of it. It’s a lie told by politicians who are literally paid to tell the lie; some of them probably believe it, ,because Americans are brainwashed about it.
They’ll sell their house, max out their credit cards, ruin their emotional well-being, stress themselves out, start seeling speed with their ex-students…anything.
Meanwhile, in Europe, I had a heart bypass, a long ambulance ride, 25 days of hospitalization, care that I considered great for a whopping 75 bucks.
And what burns me up, is that the politicians always bring up countries like Canada and Britain when they are warning about the perils of health care systems in Europe. It’s funny that they never talk about Italy, France or Germany who have by most measures, the best health care systems in the world. Not to cast shade on Canada or the UK; I’m sure their systems are adequate—it’s just that they are not the models to pursue, and the politicians know it.
What good is higher income in America when they have to pay so much for health care anyway?
I think this is the most profitable lie I’m aware of. Every year, billions more get poured into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment