Monday, April 11, 2016

ASOIAF: How will Tommen's story end?


art by amok
All I can really say with certainty--well, not certainty, but reasonable, er, assuredness-- is that Cersei's actions will probably lead to his death. I say this because of the prophecy of Maggie the Frog, that Cersei will see her children in golden shrouds before she herself dies at the hands of the Valonqar.
Avoiding dark prophecies is usually the surest way to make them come true.
And I think that's the tragedy GRRM is aiming for in Cersei's arc. It's an Oedipus thing.
So with that in mind:
  • Jacqueline Lam's guess about Gregor Clegane going on a rampage is suitably ironic.
  • I've noted several times that show Cersei is constantly threatening to 'burn king's landing to the ground before I let them hurt my son.' Something could go wrong there, if she does that. (And there is more subtle foreshadowing of it in the books, as well.)
  • Perhaps she'll poison Tommen(like she almost did in the Blackwater episode of the show) in order to keep his enemies from getting him.
I like Tommen; his real compassion for animals(as well as the kid who takes the beatings--though not the beets-- for him) and the sadness he displays at the numerous tragedies that have befallen him make me feel for him.
And I, too, am not a fan of beets.
I hope he makes it, but I doubt he will. I think Winds of Winter is going to be infanticide central.

No comments:

Post a Comment