Wednesday, April 20, 2016

How would you react to an extremely talkative student?

I'm  an EFL teacher, so my answer is going to differ than a traditional lecturer. In my job, I try to get them speaking. But if I had a student whose talking was somehow disruptive to the lesson, the way I dealt with it would depend on many factors.
Age, for example.
If they were young, I'd probably separate them and make them do busy work. Like make them copy an entire text, which is exceedingly tedious when you're doing it in your own language--even more so in a foreign language.
If they were teenagers, I'd do things like hiss if I thought it was disrupting something. Again, separation might have to be employed.
If they were working together, though, I'd assume they were speaking about what I'd given them to work on and trying to puzzle it out.
I have to say most of my students are adults though, and mature professional adults at that.
That being the case, if they were adults, I'd just ask upfront 'what they were talking about' with a smile on my face and encourage them to tell the class. It's often relevant or amusing. Humor can be gently used with adults to get them back on track.
If they didn't feel like sharing it, that's fine: they'd also be aware of the disruption they were making and drop whatever it is they were talking about, at least until the lesson was finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment