Wednesday, April 27, 2016

How can I stop myself from slowly sinking into depression?

Here are some tips. I used to suffer from deep depression that lasted for days or weeks, but I rarely do now.
  1. Busy yourself.  This is the number one thing that I find the most effective. Work on a project: it could be your job, your garden, some arts and crafts, writing something. Busy yourself.
  2. Make sure you get enough sleep. It makes such a big difference.
  3. Don't escape into alcohol or drugs or other behavior you know is self-destructive. They dont help, they just cover up your problems and create worse ones.
  4. Remember that your depression is yours and no one else's. I get grumpy when I'm depressed. I treat other people badly. That makes absolutely no sense because
    1. it is never anybody's fault.
    2. it actually makes the depression worse.
  5. Realize that sometimes depression can be a sign that you need to change something in your life. Look at your life long and hard and determine if that's the reason you're depressed or not: sometimes depression is a sign that can help you.
  6. Realize that life is never going to be perfect; and that you are who you are and you need to embrace it: love yourself, depression and all, flab and all, acne and all, failed relationship and all...
  7. Go someplace quiet and relax. Think about your life an dyourself.
If your depresson is so deep you can't do anything like this for several days or weeks, you might need to see a doctor Some people need medicine. If you do, that's OK. Nothing wrong with that. I hope you don't though and you get through it.

1 comment:

  1. 8, Mentor a young person... sometimes do it casually to someone who hasn't even requested it.

    ReplyDelete