Wednesday, May 18, 2016

ASOIAF: Who is Robert Arryn's father?

Is Littlefinger Sweetrobin’s father? That’s what’s being asked, I think.
The thought’s occurred to me before as it seems to fit a number of themes in the story; but ultimately I discarded it because I didn’t think there was any evidence: other than Lysa and Petyr having an affair.
Certainly Lysa’s words indicate that she thinks that Sweetrobin’s Jon Arryn’s child—unless of course, she’s told herself a lie so intently that she’s basically come to believe it.(AS Littlefinger advises Sansa/Alayne Stone to do.)
But that’s not evidence, it’s stretching to justify a theory.
But….but…but…but…
One thing gave me pause and that was the ‘Alayne’ chapter from last spring in which Harry the Heir is said to be the spiting image of Jon Arryn in his youth. In case you’re wondering, Harry the Heir is described as having sandy blonde hair and blue eyes.
That doesn’t sound like Sweetrobin.
Who is
  • small
  • brown-haired.
  • pale and big eyes
(see the resemblance? No? Me neither.)
He doesn’t sound like Lysa either, with the Tully’s rich auburn hair.
Littlefinger is small. He’s also dark-haired. His eyes are greyish .
(Now, it’s still totally possible that Sweetrobin is Arryn’s.. Maybe Sweetrobin looks like a Whent, for all I know: that’s in his family tree. But. GRRM doesn’t drop details lightly. Well, sometimes he does, I guess. Anyway, GRRM genetics serve the plot more than they resemble reality.)
There’s enough evidence to definitely put it in the ‘possibly but not definitely’ file, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment