Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Game of Thrones" What did you think of (spoilers)


(Roose Bolton's death)

It was lame. It was lame because it really just felt like they wanted to hit a plot point, get Ramsay(who the show-runners love--they seem to love villains in general) in charge to up the stakes for the much-predicted Battle o' the Bastards later in the season.
Like many of the lurid plot points that they hit in Season 5, they simply failed to sell it to me. It just rings cheaply to me.
Oh, I think death at your own son's hands, knowing your own newborn baby is probably going to die is a horrible enough death--except, it implies a sentimentality and warmth to the ice-blooded Roose that certainly isn't there in the books and I don't think is there in the show.
So in that sense, the tone was off: I was meant to think how horrible and sad for Roose, but in fact, Roose's death would have to be a lot more horrific and terrible for me to ever pity him. (I know that sounds horrible, but there you go.)
The mechanics of the scene were done well enough: good directing, acting and so on. But in the larger context of the story, and Roose Bolton's place in it, it didn't work for me.
So, yeah, to reiterate:
  1. It felt cheap.
  2. It felt more like house-cleaning than story-telling.
  3. It didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment