Thursday, May 5, 2016

Game of Thrones: What are your thoughts on Jon Snow's (spoiler?)

(resurrection?)

I have a lot of thoughts on it, so thanks for asking.
First of all Jon's resurrection was not particularly surprising for  any long-term book fan: it's been speculated on and the consensus among fans has long been that he would be resurrected.
Second, as a book fan, and a big one at that, I feel a little sadness at the fact that the show revealed this very, very important plot point first. But again, I've known for years that the show was going to overtake the books eventually. It finally happened. I just hope that it doesn't discourage George RR Martin from telling it his way, which is, frankly, much better.
The show has yet to sell the resurrection to me. By which I mean: the ritual seemed pretty painless and dull. This is a resurrection which I definitely expected a human sacrifice to achieve. I am disappointed that the price of magic--and big magic at that--resurrecction is a pretty big deal, I would say--is suddenly so cheap.
As it happened, it seems like a cheap trick: Jon Snow died! Oh! No! Melly, give him a sponge-bath and a hair trim and it will all be better. It feels like a cop out. Where is the price? Where is the bitter irony I have learned to expect from this series? Have they really just abandoned all that made the series great?
OR...is there yet to be a price exacted? Will Jon Snow be significantly different? Darker? I'm actually really hoping so now. Before I was thinking he would not be; more ferocious and mean, sure,  but still basically heroic. Before I thought the price was going to be the sacrifice of someone(probably Shireen) but without that....I just won't be satisfied unless Jon Snow is just a flat out creepy-ass inhuman vengeance machine if not straight-up evil.
If he's the same old mopey Jon Snow, or even if he's a fiery combative Jon Snow made all the more heroic, I"m going to be disappointed. Because I didn't sign up for a soap opera with an easy deux ex machina resurrection.
So, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment