Wednesday, February 24, 2016

ASOIAF short:What did Oberyn Martell mean when he said to Tyrion "I would sooner the scorpions fell on me than the queen in all her naked beauty"?


note: I've written so many of these that I'm going to start doing 2 every other day--a long one, and a short one. I know not everyone has time to read the long ones, which are usually the most interesting. But I've literally written hundreds of these and I need to try to clear my cache a little.

What did Oberyn Martell mean when he said to Tyrion "I would sooner the scorpions fell on me than the queen in all her naked beauty"?

He is referencing the fate of Lyonel Tyrell, the Lord of Highgarden who successfully raided Dorne during the Rain of Daeron I.
Daeron appointed him governor of Dorne, where he spent a lot of time trying to subdue him.
The Dornish are pretty much impossible to subdue though.
One of his habits he had was, after he had taken a castle, he would kick the local lord out and take his bedroom for his own while he stayed.
He had a weakness for wenches and one of these beds had a long sash with which he could summon a wench to his bed.
One day he pulled on the sash to summon a wench and instead of a bell ringing(or whatever) the canopy of hte bed collapsed upon him, filled with poisonous scorpions, which killed him.
Earlier in the conversation with Tyrion, Oberyn had hinted that Cersei had attempted to use her womanly wiles on him; he had already professed a fantasy that he and his lover Ellaria Sand were looking to have a threesome with a beautiful blonde woman.
Here he is reassuring Tyrion that he is not going to do what she wants. I take it to mean that he is repulsed by the idea of sleeping with Cersei, knowing what she is(and even what had been as a child). He'd literally rather die.

No comments:

Post a Comment