Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Blade Itseelf by Joe Abercrombie

This book started out pretty slow, mainly because all of the many points of views were at such disparate points geographically and plot-wise. There is also more than a bit of what I would call a general 'Dragonlance' influence, by which I mean, there is the whiff of teenage dungeons and dragons to some of the scenes. At first that turned me off, being more a fan of the classic fantasy of Tolkien, et al, but gradually, as the story and characters acquired depth I began to look at it rather as the work of a new generation of fantasy writer...and I accepted it. And by the time it ended , I was REALLY enjoying it.

This is a darker fantasy but it's written with a good amount of (very English) humor...though humor is not the point, it's as entertwined in the story as the characters and the plot itself...actually, I haven't quite figured out where the plot is going--it's clear that he's slowly revealing the actual story.

There is a number of elements to this story that I find pretty original: the late Renaissance/Englightenment attitudes, dress and fighting style(as opposed to the vague general medieval or high middle ages setting of most fantasies), the multi-ethnic make up of the characters, the annoying class system(think UK circa the Great WAr in 1914). There is not a lot of magic in this fantasy, though there definitely is some.

And while the world-building in this book is pretty good, it's not really the focus--the focus is definitely character. And the characterization is great.. I mean that. They are definitely complex, much more so than most fantasies I've read, and that's what makes this book really interesting to me. It's all written in a smattering of colloquial styes which shifts subtly depending on whose point of view you're reading.

I am definitely very eager indeed to find out how this story finishes. I usually read a standalone novel in between books in a series but not this time...I'm plowing straight on into the next one.
 (

No comments:

Post a Comment