Thursday, February 4, 2016

Shogun

Previously I'd read Clavell's King Rat and loved the story, so I was looking forward to getting into this book, which my girlfriend was pushing on me.

And I loved it. I mean, this story has everything I look for in a historical novel:, a complex, zig-zaggy plot, high politics, memorable characters, romance, action, heroism, treachery, humor, sacrifice, tragedy, a different world...OK, the world is technically set in medieval Japan, and apparently some aspects are accurate(others not so much); nevertheless Clavell spends a lot of time world-building and creating the backstory that frames this struggle for ultimate power.

The story was loosely based on real people and real historical events, but I do emphasize loosely, as the story is obviously Clavell's mostly.

You know, it kind of reminds me of A Song of Ice and Fire, minus the fantasy elements. And that's very high praise from me. There is no doubt in my mind that George RR Martin took heavy notes when he read this.

If there was one thing I didn't like, though it was the constant shifting of points of view--that made for a messy and jarring read and, of course, makes any mystery or reveal seem like a dirty trick of the author--I think if Clavell had focused on the points of view of BlackThorne, Mariko, Yabu, Toranaga and, I don't know, maybe Umi, in separate chapters the story would have been a bit tighter and less jarring.

But I'm still giving it a full 5 stars, even if 4.5 might be nearer the mark. It's just such a kick ass story overall and at it's heart it has one of the most beautiful and elegant love stories I've ever read.

If you like historical fiction and good old fashioned story telling, this is the book for you. One of the best of the genre I reckon.
 (less)

No comments:

Post a Comment