Wednesday, February 10, 2016

SHip of Magic, by Robin Hobb: review

This is the first book of the second trilogy written by Robin Hobb and set in the world of the Elderlings.

A lot of my praise and criticism alike will echo that of the Assassin trilogy I read last year.

There's no doubt that Robin Hobb's work is some of the most original work in fantasy, and her influence on contemporary fantasy is absolutely clear. 

The world-building is great. The world in this book is the same world as in the Assassin series; but the action in this book takes place than the Six Duchies of that story. And it's interesting that the culture and society of this book are actually completely different to the colder, more rural, medieval world of the Six Duchies. This is a world of color and culture and etiquette; religion and contracts and trade--it seems somehow more advanced than the Six Duchies. Like early Renaissance. But with a touch of Asian formality to the customs of Bingtown.

As always she writes superior characters--and there are several good ones in this one. And the story, like the others is so good overall that it sticks with you....

BUT....but, but, but...

The prose. It just. I just....can't get into it. It's so...it's like there's a thick layer of cotton between the story and my brain. Too much exposition. Some boring dialogue. 

AS with the other books, I found myself forcing myself through until the end, when suddenly it picks up and I can't put it down.

Seriously I was 80 percent of the way through the book before it got really really interesting. It's a 670 page book! That's a lot of set up. And it was the same problem with the other books.

So, yeah it was good...but I'm going to have to take another break from Robin Hobb. It shojldn't take me three weeks to get through a fantasy book!

Still, a lot of people don't seem to have this problem...maybe it's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment